Wednesday, October 17, 2012

This is NOT recommended


Just when I thought I had seen it all, I read this story online from "Runner's World": Keith Levasseur ran Saturday's Baltimore Marathon in 2:46:58 while wearing flip flops.  Apparently, he performed the stunt for the Guinness Book of World Records.  Looking closely at the picture, they are some of the more supportive flip flops, but still I find this to be insane.  To top it all off, he finished 39th out of over 3000 runners.

Flip flops are a popular shoe all over the country, and here in Florida they can be worn essentially all year.  However, these shoes are not created to walk in for long distances or even wear long-term.  Historically, they are to protect feet to get to the beach from your car over hot pavement or to prevent you from picking up a wart or athlete's foot in a public shower or pool.

These shoes can lead to all sorts of problems such as heel pain and also provide no protection for the top of the foot or the end of the toes.  I have seen several painful toenail injuries from the wearing of these shoes.

I know I will not make many people give up their flip flops but I recommend them only for limited periods of time and certainly prefer my patients wear ones with an arch in the sole.  Our shoe store and all of our offices have available sandals and flip flops that are better for you feet than the "traditional" flip flop.

No comments:

Post a Comment