Sunday, September 30, 2012

Barefoot running



There is a lot of discussion in the media right now involving barefoot running.  Many people claim it is a wonderful way to run.  However, as a podiatrist, I will have to say I can not agree that it is safe.  Many different things have to be considered.  Does the runner have a high arch foot?  If this is the case, I do not believe that the foot can adapt to the ground well.  This sets the runner up for stress fractures and degenerative arthritis.  If the runner has a low arch or "flatfoot,"  I believe that this will make it hard for the runner to go through the propulsive phase of running setting him or her up for tendinitis and various deformities such as hammertoes and bunions.  The running surface also needs to be considered.  A sandy beach is probably better than concrete.  When a patient tells me going barefoot is natural, I often tell them that even if that is true, the ground we often walk on is not.  I tend to believe shoes are important, especially when we are active.  I have seen a lot of injuries from barefoot activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment